Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Being a Cop Wife

Disclaimer: Long Post

I get asked often what it is like to be the wife of a cop.  I am sure it is different for everyone but this is my take...
Adam's decision to become a cop came after we were married, so I didn't know what I was getting myself into.  He was working for his uncle and going to school for Construction Management.  Still not the safest of jobs, but he was less likely to encounter druggies and criminals {ehhh....there are some sketchy characters working in construction as well but generally speaking}.  He didn't love his construction courses and wasn't excited going to work anymore, so I tossed him the course catalog and said Figure it Out.  No one wants to deal with grumpy husband for a lifetime, cause thats a long time.  He decided that Criminal Justice was something he thought he could do and enjoy.  He soon got accepted into Weber State's Police Academy.  Weber does it two ways, Part-time or Full-time - go figure.  Basically, 4 months or 9.  We didn't really want to drag it out, so Adam quit his job and left me to pay the bills - good thing I make an awesome sugar mama.  He was lucky enough to land a position with a city nearby directly following his graduation and has been working there since. 

Isn't it scary?
I can't say that I was ever scared, or worried with his decision to become an officer.  My reasoning is this... he could have a desk job, and get in an accident on the way to work.  He could be a cop, and get shot.  He could be a construction worker, and fall into a manhole, I mean really.. anything is possible, and whatever is supposed to happen - will.  I am a firm believer in that everything happens for a reason, so whatever shall be, will be.  I would rather he do something that makes him happy than him do something safe and come home and just irritate me with attitude. :) 
You'll always have to work, you can't live on a cop salary.
I recently read something about this and it spoke volumes to me. {posted below} Adam is always pursuing further opportunities, I know I will be well taken care of.  He has many goals, and this is simply a stepping stone for us.
{Oh.... you're a Cop?? That's cool. I wanted to do that when I was a kid. What do you make?"
"What do I make... I make holding your hand seem like the biggest thing in the world when someone just tried to hurt you. I make 5 minutes seem like a lifetime when I am fighting a suspect while waiting for back up. I make those annoying sirens seem like angels when you need them. I can make your children breathe when they stop.  I make myself get out of bed at 3am to risk my life to save people I’ve never met.  I make it possible to keep back the chaos everyday.  I make going to work for your families safety a duty that I will die for.  I make myself work holidays, nights, during hurricanes and other disasters.  Today I might make the ultimate sacrifice to save your life.  I make a difference.  What do you make?"

Cops are jerks, how do you live with one?
They totally are - giving us tickets and ruining parties.  I always hated cops... making me nervous when I saw them, making me slow down when I'm not even speeding to begin with, heart attacks when the lights turn on.  But, now that I have a perspective from the other side - it's much different than expected.  They don't give you a ticket to meet a quota, they are giving you a ticket in hopes that you will drive safer for you and those around you.  Cops don't ruin your day, you got caught, and ruined your own day.  Adam admits that he has come across a lot of guys that are cops simply for the power trip, and the authority and they are.... assholes. But, not all of them are that way.  Just like Doctors, Lawyers, Cashiers, and Construction Workers.. some are buttheads.. same with cops.  Just remember than they are also humans, with families, loved ones, and feelings.
Does he have crappy shifts:
Yes, and no.  He works some evenings until midnight, but I get a lot done when he is gone like, shopping, blogging, pinteresting, crafting... He works most Saturdays and Sundays - which make the weekends seem really..not like weekends.  But it's all good - we have date nights and they are great.
Does he have good stories?
The stories are pretty crazy.. things you only thought happened in movies.. happen in real life.  A girl offered to show him her boobs to get out of a ticket (he said no thanks..or atleast that is what he is telling me)  A guy pee'd in the backseat of his car for taking him to jail.  Suicides, horrific accidents, druggies, crazy alcoholics, gang members, domestic abuse, child neglect.. the list goes on.. and the stories are unimaginable.
Do you love a man in uniform*wink, wink*?
Not really.. if we want to get graphic for a minute. There are a LOT of layers... The belt which is FULL of 'stuff'; the earpiece that goes through the belt, shirt, and collar; the shirt; undershirt; bulletproof vest; etc... it's a lot of work - so he is much sexier in regular clothes..that are easier to get off. {there is an image for ya, tehehe}

5 comments:

  1. You really should have started this blog long ago! I might already be addicted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! i love this court. i love your writing cause i can totally see a crystal clear image of you talking in my head. that sounded creepy. oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh stop it you two! you are both too kind. Micah, it's cool, I'll let you be creepy to me..I think I like it.
    Thanks Karen - I'll try and keep up the good work! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney, this is brilliant. I already love your blog. How are you JUST starting now?! Also, the man in uniform commentary cracked me up. lol. Well stated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, I love you! I'm so glad you started a blog! You two truly have a great relationship and are SOOOO perfect for each other. I couldn't imagine a better guy for my sweet, amazing, wonderful and GORGEOUS cousin. :) You just need to know when the perfect timing is to walk in on Adam. Like, getting out of the shower- Talon would know this. hahaha! (We still talk about that to this day and he just goes on to say how happy he was that Adam had a towel on. haha)

    ReplyDelete